A Faith Walk Through Time
In 1918, the founding members of the church, led by Mr Lam Iu Cheung, held worship services in Yeung Ching School because they were Cantonese-speaking Christian teachers from China teaching here. It was their desire to reach the Cantonese-speaking community with the Gospel. This gathering of believers was called The Cantonese Church and for many years until 1957 could only use the worship venues kindly provided by the Methodist Church.
On 1 Jan 1946 the pastors and church leaders took a decision to buy land and build a church to be named Kum Yan (感恩). The leaders pledged $14,500. After WWII, they had to start saving all over again for the Kum Yan Building Fund because their ‘banana notes’ became waste paper when the Japanese were defeated.
In 1950, the piece of land at No. 1 Queen Street was purchased and the ground-breaking ceremony was finally held in February 1957. The church building was consecrated in December of that year. Total cost: close to $240,000 but the church had more than enough funds, with $2,000 left over.
This testimony of God’s grace became a principle of operation for Kum Yan Church: God will provide when His people honour Him. They shall not be in want.
With the same faith and vision as our forefathers, we undertook to raise funds for the rebuilding of our Sanctuary in early 2003. All thanks and praise to our God for enabling the church to raise the full sum of $6 million for the Building Fund by 31 Dec 2006 through our 1000+ members and well-wishers so that we could move into our new Sanctuary debt-free. This new building was dedicated to God in March 2007 and as a church, we changed our name from ‘The Cantonese Methodist Kum Yan Church’ to ‘Kum Yan Methodist Church’ to better reflect the different language congregations that we now have.
Towards the end of November 2012, the pastors and church leaders again heard from God to commence the extension process for the land lease of 1 Queen Street. The application to the Singapore Land Authority was submitted after 10 March 2014 – KY’s 96th Anniversary.
God stirred the hearts of our KY Family to give generously and sacrificially week after week without ceasing. On 26 July 2015, four days before the deadline, the full sum of $5,831,000 was collected and more was to come in the weeks following.
God indeed is an ever-faithful God and His mercies and loving-kindness are new every day. All Glory and Honour be unto Him, O God Most High.
The new 30-year lease of the church is dedicated to God on 3 January 2016 to mark a new season in the life and testimony of the Kum Yan Family.